Social Media in the Workplace

    After reading Chapter 1 in the Essentials of Social Media Marketing textbook for my Principles of Social Media class, it made me come to a realization that there is a huge opportunity for social media in a professional workplace setting. This realization seems like it would be obvious, but with me being exposed to businesses using social media almost every day I don't even think twice when I see it. However, with social media coming first-hand for my generation and me, this area of business is a chance for us to make a difference and enhance the use of it. This generation also has an advantage over others because most of us have been using social media our whole lives.

    One instance in the book that made me think about this is in section 7 of the chapter which talks about how almost all businesses are on social media but only about 12% of those businesses think that they use social media to its max potential. This just shows that there is more opportunity than one could think and this is where my generation and I can come in and help. Another instance in the book was in section 8 when it shows an abbreviated list of all the different social media related jobs that there are out there. Again, the list proves that there is lots of chance for people to use their experience with social media when going into the workplace.

Comments

  1. I could not agree more that the possibilities of what social media can accomplish are endless. Knowing only 12% of businesses who use social media feel like they are reaching their max potential is kind of sad, however like you mentioned opens a lot of opportunities for us. I think for many businesses who are new to social media get overwhelmed by how quickly it changes. Although it will be a lot of hard work and research, I am excited to see our generation help raise the 12%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cade. I agree that our generation has a clear technological advantage. Companies who do not use social media to its fullest are truly missing out on a more effective marketing experience. This lack of social media standing makes a possible job position, but I wonder when companies will make this position when they realize the changing times. A greater social media presence will definitely help smaller businesses gain more customers. It might even generate clearer competition among businesses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment